Facilities Systems Technician
Job Code 201701
Perform maintenance and repair of facilities systems, manufacturing, and utilities equipment. This includes HVAC, purified water, chillers, steam boilers, clean utilities, etc. Assist in maintaining operating condition of facilities and equipment, and complete simple repairs in support of Manufacturing, Process Development, Research, and Laboratory operations. Maintain documentation in accordance with cGMP and various agencies requirements. Must be able to understand, follow, and revise SOP's as required to perform duties related to this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform routine equipment, systems, and facility maintenance; including HVAC, freezers, refrigerators, incubators, and cryogenic storage, mechanical and electrical repair, minor plumbing repairs, and respond to daily work order requests.
- Understand requirements associated with production or facilities and utilities equipment, maintenance documentation, safety, SOPs in a cGMP environment.
- Responds to emergency calls and works in an on-call schedule as needed (either during or outside of regular working hours).
- Coordinate with various departments for preventive and maintenance of building, plumbing, and facility and manufacturing equipment.
Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge of cGMP manufacturing and basic chemical and biological safety procedures
- Basic understanding with instrument calibration program and practices.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, such as blueprints, P&ID(s), electrical schematics, safety rules, SOPs, maintenance and technical manuals.
- Some experience with laboratory and pharmaceutical manufacturing process equipment (incubators, biological safety cabinets, freezers, refrigerators, pumps, autoclaves and glasswash machines, etc).
- Experience using precision hand tools and measuring instruments.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- General proficiency in MS Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel).
- Experience using Building Management System (BMS – Siemens Apogee), Computerize Maintenance Management System (CMMS), and Blue Mountain Ram preferred.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities, multi-task and prioritize work in order to successfully accomplish job duties.
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills and able to work effectively in a team environment.
High school diploma/general education degree (GED) or degree from a trade or technical school. Three years of related experience in troubleshooting, mechanical equipment with exposure to preventive maintenance procedures in biotech/pharmaceutical environment preferred.
- Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Wear the required personal protective equipment (respirator mask, safety harness, etc).
- While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to frequently lift and or move objects up to 50-75 pounds.
- Employee should not have fear of heights; job requires climbing a ladder up 12 feet for roof work.
- Use of arms, hands and fingers to handle, feel and/or reach. Ability to climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and work in tight and enclosed spaces for periods of time through an 8 hour work day.
- Visual abilities include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth and ability to focus.
Vical's Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Vical is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. In keeping with our policy, Vical will recruit, hire, train and promote into all job titles the most qualified individuals, without regard for race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, medical condition, usage of family and medical leave, or usage of pregnancy disability leave.